Be part of an amazing team of volunteers. There is a volunteer job for everyone at Positive Tomorrows. Our volunteers come from all backgrounds with one goal in mind: Creating Positive Tomorrows for a homeless student. There are no volunteer jobs more rewarding than this.
To work directly with our students, volunteers must fill out a background check and volunteer application. Once those forms are processed, volunteer training is scheduled. Training is typically during the day and lasts one hour. The approval process, from application to training, typically takes about 2 weeks.
Congratulations 2020 Volunteer Award Winners!
Volunteer of the Year – Todd Owens
For more than 10 years, Todd Owens has been volunteering at Positive Tomorrows, and most recently, his volunteerism sees him visiting the school for an hour once a week to read to the 5th/6th grade class at Positive Tomorrows.
The Volunteer of the Year award is presented annually to an outstanding volunteer who has provided extraordinary service over an extended period of time at Positive Tomorrows.
“Todd Owens has faithfully shown up to read to our students for even longer than I’ve been here. He is a dedicated supporter and advocate of our kiddos and our mission.” – Susan Agel, President/CEO
“Mr. Todd has been volunteering with PT for at least nine years. You can set your watch by him. He walks the volunteer walk, and he truly cares for the kiddos.” – Amy Brewer, Director of Education
“Mr. Todd has shown up consistently to read to my class once a week for my entire career at PT. He has an amazing rapport with the students and they truly look forward to his visits, and he also seems to thoroughly enjoy coming each week. He also volunteers at other PT events occasionally, such as the Christmas Carnival, where he partnered with a younger student and was a great match for this sometimes highly emotional kiddo.” – Mrs. Gatewood, 5th/6th grade teacher
Volunteer Achievement Award – Love’s I.T.
This year, we are recognizing the Love’s I.T. department as our Volunteer Achievement Award recipients for their invaluable contribution to moving our equipment, paperwork, supplies and more to our new facility in November 2019. This group of volunteers also consistently hosts birthday and classroom parties for our kiddos, as well as participates in other activities suitable for larger groups.
The Volunteer Achievement Award is presented, when appropriate, to a volunteer or volunteer group who create opportunities through a short term, one-time project at Positive Tomorrows.
Regular Volunteer Opportunities
- Mentors: Commit to one hour per week for one school year to help an elementary student develop academic and social skills. Each mentor is matched with a specific child and works on academics and relationship building, while providing much-needed consistency in the child’s life. 2020/21 mentor times will be available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Lunch Room Volunteers: Help out in the lunchroom by talking to students, reading aloud, serving food, opening milk cartons and handing out utensils, wiping down tables, etc. Breakfast is from 8 – 9 a.m. and lunch is from 10:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. during the school year.
- After School Program Volunteer: Help create a safe after-school environment for children ages 5-12 years. Build them up emotionally, physically, and socially. Assist the staff in conducting age appropriate games and activities, and help students with homework. The After School Program meets Monday-Friday from 3-4:30 p.m. (Special programs are conducted during school breaks.)
- Readers: Read one day per week to a classroom. Typically following classroom lunchtime.
- Special Event/Birthday Party Throwers: Throw birthday parties, holiday parties, chaperone field trips, or work at break camp activities as needed. We send out volunteer opportunities monthly via email to volunteers who may sign up for what works with their availability.
Positive Tomorrows also has volunteer opportunities for groups, depending on our current needs and project availability. Prior training and background checks are not always required.
Positive Tomorrows requires that all volunteers be at least 16 years old. If under the age of 18, volunteers must be accompanied by a legal guardian at all times. Exceptions may be made for high school seniors on a case-by-case basis.
Minors can participate in collection projects or host their own fundraiser or special project. We are always happy to arrange a time to tour and drop off donations so minors can see the impact of their participation.
Are you a gifted organizer, or talented fundraiser? We always need help with our fundraising events.
Board Membership or Advisory Roles
Our organization is guided by a group of dedicated volunteer board members and advisors. Please contact us if you would like to serve in an advisory role.
To get started on any of the volunteer opportunities give us a call at 405-556-5082 or email email@example.com.